qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kFreeBSD and USB support

From: Ed Maste
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kFreeBSD and USB support
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:34:53 -0400

On 5 June 2013 16:17, Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On debian we, for a long time, used the following hack
> in a build script of qemu:
>
> # Hack alert.  qemu-1.3 still needs this.
> # On recent kFreebsd, old USB host API has been removed,
> # but qemu did not learn to use new USB API.
> # Just do not build USB host support.
>         sed -i 's/^HOST_USB=bsd/HOST_USB=stub/' \
>                 qemu-build/config-host.mak

In fact, the FreeBSD ports tree Makefile for QEMU does basically the
same thing -- search for 'HOST_USB' in
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/emulators/qemu-devel/Makefile?revision=319450&view=co

> This isn't really FreeBSD but "kFreeBSD", which is
> a FreeBSD kernel (and ofcorse the kernel headers)
> and some more linux-like userspace - it is Debian
> userspace running on top of FreeBSD kernel.
>
> This effectively disables host usb support for
> kFreeBSD.  And since I guess the kernel headers
> are the same on regular FreeBSD, I think the same
> issue happens on regular FreeBSD too, that is,
> host usb does not work there as well.
>
> What is the status of this situation now?

On FreeBSD-current libusb has grown the functionality required by
QEMU's recent libusb USB host code, and I'm using that.  I assume that
the current BSD host USB code works on NetBSD and OpenBSD, but don't
really know; possibly they can switch to libusb as well.