qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:01:16 -0700

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> I guess -bios would load coreboot. Coreboot would siphon the data
>> necessary for ACPI table building through the current (same) fw_cfg
>> bottleneck, build the tables,
>
> Yes.

So, this is really about making coreboot+seabios the default QEMU
firmware, and making seabios depend on being a coreboot payload?

>> load the boot firmware (SeaBIOS or OVMF or
>> something else -- not sure how to configure that),

It wouldn't be loading OVMF. It would be loading CorebootPkg.

OVMF is a better sample platform for EDK II since it shows a more
realistic view of what an EDK II based platform looks like on real
hardware.

Thus, if the ACPI tables are just being added to a new coreboot layer
with coreboot becoming the default QEMU firmware, then it doesn't help
OVMF (or other non-coreboot payloads).

Well, it could if the table code was BSD licensed, but only so we
could then merge them into OVMF. Then again, why not just provide a
set of suitably licensed ACPI source files within the QEMU tree that
firmware projects could use? QEMU doesn't necessarily need to
build/link them, or attempt to communicate them at runtime.

-Jordan