qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Profiling sparc64 emulation

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Profiling sparc64 emulation
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 23:02:24 +0200

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Aurelien Jarno <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 11:29:20PM +0200, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
>> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Torbjorn Granlund <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > The 2nd table of http://gmplib.org/devel/testsystems.html shows all
>> > emulated systems I am using, most of which are qemu-based.
>>
>> Do I read it correct that qemu-system-ppc64 with the slowdown factor
>> of 33 is ~3 times faster than qemu-system-sparc64 with the slowdown
>> factor of 96 ?
>> Do they both use Debian Wheezy guest? You have a remark that ppc64 has
>> problems with its clock. Was it taken into account when the slowdown
>> factors were calculated?
>>

> Clock or not, it should be noted that qemu-system-sparc64 is undoubtedly
> slower (at least 5 to 10 times) than qemu-system-{arm,ppc,mips,...} on
> some type of load like perl scripts.

That's interesting. Actually it should be possible to lauch perl under user
mode qemu-sparc32plus. Is it possible to launch perl under user mode
qemu-ppc{32,64} too?

That would allow to understand whether the bad performance has to do
with TCG or the rest of the system emulation.

Artyom

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko

linux/sparc and solaris/sparc under qemu blog:
http://tyom.blogspot.com/search/label/qemu