qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/7] target-i386: Disable direct passthrough of PM

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/7] target-i386: Disable direct passthrough of PMU CPUID leaf by default
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:31:08 -0300

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 05:10:29PM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:43:06 -0300
> Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The current code handling the CPUID 0xA leaf simply forwards all data
> > from GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID directly to the guest, breaking migration
> > between hosts with different number of PMU counters.
> >
> > This patch disables this behavior, except on older machine-types (for
> > compatibility) and on the "host" CPU model.
> Please, make it static property and use compat properties.
> Result will be simpler and  much less will have to be redone/discarded after
> converting to the rest to properties and sub-classes.

I was going to say that static properties were too much work to be done
in time for 1.5, but you are right: in this specific case adding a
static property for the cpuid_pmu_passthrough field looks very easy. I
will give it a try.

I will probably try to make the "model" field a static property as well.
Then only x86_cpu_compat_set_features() would be kept, as converting
feature flags to static properties will probably require more work.

Thanks,

--
Eduardo