qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] SoC Idea: Xbox target

From: Niel van der Westhuizen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] SoC Idea: Xbox target
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:38:37 +1000

Hey,

So I've been lazily hacking away on https://github.com/espes/xqemu for the last few months. It's a target for the original Xbox in Qemu - it's kind of a neat fit, since the Xbox was mostly an nForce 420 PC. It'd be awesome to have helping out on this as a listed Summer of Code project idea. (mainly so I could apply for it ;)

Thing is, for this to be a Qemu project it'd need to be viable to be merged into Qemu eventually. Unfortunately so far my implementation has been far from clean-room, which could possibly be risky legally, I dono:
    -The binaries I've been referencing while reverse engineering are from the Xbox development kit software (since they conveniently include symbols) that, while mostly widely available, aren't exactly public.
    -The current implementation of the GPU (https://github.com/espes/xqemu/blob/xbox/hw/nv2a.c) and APU (https://github.com/espes/xqemu/blob/xbox/hw/mcpx_apu.c) use register names verbatim from a leaked register listing. If it makes a difference, most of the GPU names could already be figured out from a combination of registers documented in nouveau, registers listed in Dxbx (another Xbox emulator, "uNV2A.pas"), a published register listing found in an old nvidia sdk ("nv10reg.h"), and enums in the debug files in the Xbox development kit software.

Oh, and someone would need to be found as a mentor.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Niel