qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:21:37 -0500

On 04/14/2013 02:49:53 PM, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 14/04/13 10:38, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
>
>>> Do you have an example kernel .config and qemu command line showing how
>>> use virtio for those? (Or a working sparc64 image you can point me to?)
>>

>> Yes. Will send it to you as I get to my home machine. Can you make them
>> available on your site?
>

> Note that there is a section of test kernel images on the QEMU site at > http://wiki.qemu.org/Testing, so if you could upload it to there that would
> be great :)

I don't see how to upload files. Can only edit the page.

I've got build scripts that reproducibly create bootable system images (with native compilers capable of building linux from scratch) for several different variants of arm, mips, ppc32, sparc32, sh4, x86, and x86-64. (It also builds m68k that runs under aranym but not qemu.)

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html

Basically go to http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin and grab a system-image-*.tar.bz2 and ./run-emulator.sh in there. If you want an extracted root-filesystem-*.tar.bz2 that's in there too, and the various config files used to make it should be in /usr/src under there.

If you want to build from source, grab the http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads most recent tarball, extract it, and "./build.sh sparc" or similar. (If it breaks, tell me. I collect reproducible bug reports.)

I put out a new release about each time a kernel comes out. I don't announce 'em here because I didn't think you were interested...

>> I have a Debian Wheezy RC1 / SPARC64 How-To, it would be nice to link to >> the .config and kernel, so people would be able to install it just by
>> a few clicks.
>
> This is very interesting - could you post a link to the how-to?

I temporarily put it offline till I find a hosting for the kernel. For
some reason the standard Wheezy/sparc64 kernel is not stable under
QEMU.

How is your kernel nonstandard, and what's the instability? I booted the one you sent me but it went:

netconsole: network logging started
VFS: Cannot open root device "vda1" or unknown-block(253,1): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
fd00           28212 vda  driver: virtio_blk
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(253,1)
Call Trace:

Probably because the sparc root filesystem I have lying around is squashfs. I can rebuild with ext2 but not on my lunch break. (I cleaned out the build dir so it has to build the cross toolchains first, underpowered netbook, takes a while...)

I have various patches I need to apply to get stuff to work at
http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/file/tip/sources/patches and am always working out more. (I push them upstream when I can, but the maintainers aren't always interested.)

(Currently the project is migrating from uClibc to musl libc, in part because I can fish target support out of klibc and apply it to musl in a way I can't for uClibc, so I can _finally_ get s390 and such to work... But day job and my other projects eat lots of time so it goes slowly...)

Rob