qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2013, "Introduce API to query IP addresses for giv

From: Michal Privoznik
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2013, "Introduce API to query IP addresses for given domain" Libvirt project
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:33:04 +0200

On 10.04.2013 11:12, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 04:46:45AM +0200, Tabibel Sami wrote:
>> I am doing master degree of Cryptology and information security
>> I have good C and Python skills, and i am interested to work on
>> "Introduce API to query IP addresses for given domain" Libvirt
>> project.
>>
>> I am looking for any comment about the difficulty and the content of
>> the project, and also about my chances to be accepted if i apply for.
>
> Adding libvirt mailing list and CCing mprivozn who is the mentor for
> this project.
>
> Stefan

Hi Tabibel,

I am happy that libvirt has caught your attention.
RE: 'Introduce API to query IP addresses for given domain' idea.

I expect this one to be slightly advanced, but still falls into beginer
level [1]. Libvirt already has a module which snoops domain's traffic
(domain is a guest in libvirt terminology) and learns guest IP
addresses. Then we have a guest agent interface where we can query
domain's kernel directly. However, we need an API which will return a
set of IP addresses based on selected method. NB, we might invent yet
another method in future so it's not 'either or'.

>From programming point of view, libvirt is written in pure C. And maybe
small portion of Python will be required as well - we have a generated
python bindings to our APIs, but not all of them are generated by our
bindings generator.

I don't know how experienced with libvirt you are. Take your time to
play with it. I am sure you will find plenty how-tos on the internet.

Regarding GSoC process, I think we should stick to the schedule as
proposed by Google [2]. So mentors can't accept any student until after
student applications. I am not saying you are doing this, but some
others are :) On the other hand - now it's the right time to discuss
ideas. Moreover, student can bring up their own ideas as well, so if you
don't find anything suitable on the ideas page, feel free to think of
your own idea which we can discuss then.

Regards,
Michal

1: This is sort of cryptic level description. It strictly depends on a
devel skills, libvirt internals knowledge, devel outlook, level of depth
that devel wants to go to, etc. All of these may move difficulty from
Beginer to Expert and back.

2: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013