qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Raspberry ARM with 32-bit guest

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Raspberry ARM with 32-bit guest
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:05:59 +0200

Hi,

Am 04.04.2013 13:06, schrieb Benito:
> I know this might absurd, but
> I'm trying to run a 32-bit guest on a Raspberry Pi - Raspbian OS -
> Debian Wheezy ARM
> I have used :
>
> qemu-img create -f raw harddrive.raw 700M
> qemu -hda harddrive.raw -cdrom fedora14.iso
>
> I've installed qemu via apt-get install qemu on the Pi.

You're not providing sufficient details for the upstream community to
help you, so CC'ing the Debian maintainer. "qemu" sounds rather old,
it's qemu-system-i386 since several versions already.

Did you check that you have sufficient RAM on your Raspi? Or disk space
on your SD card / USB disk? Disk images are created sparse, and when the
host runs out of resources lots of things can happen.

> After I do the 2nd command, the guest os starts up , but soon consumes
> 100% cpu , and then hangs. Tried with puppy 511 , centos6.3 minimal ,
> fedora14
>
> Is there a way to run any of these in "invisible" mode or user mode ,
> and get past this obstacle.. ?

qemu-i386 can execute individual Linux binaries, with a bunch of known
issues. Might or might not work for you - you don't say what you
actually want to do.

> Can I create this guest on a faster machine , and clone itto the Pi's
> qemu that runs ARM ?

Yes. The disk image is just a file.

Regards,
Andreas