qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-03-26

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-03-26
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:13:34 -0500

On 03/25/2013 08:17:44 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:

Hi

Please send in any agenda topics you are interested in.

Later, Juan.

If Google summer of code is still open:

  http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013

Last I checked, the older targets haven't had a lot of love. QEMU still doesn't have qemu-system-alpha, qemu-system-m68k doesn't quite support a proper m68k mmu and the half-finished macintosh q800 board is still out of tree, the sparc32 openfirmware dies if you feed it more than a tiny kernel command line via -append, the sh4 board only supports 64 megs which isn't enough to build anything interesting natively.

If anybody wanted to add Qualcomm hexagon support, I might be able to rustle up a hexagon kernel-side guy to play with it. (There are a couple of people porting hexagon to the bare metal using some hacked HP devices who would probably love a more portable test platform. They could provide test binaries, toolchain setup help, and could tell you all sorts of stuff about the kernel.)

It would be really nice if I could point vanilla qemu at a device tree and have it fake up a board providing the resoruces and devices in question. (Here's some memory, give me a 16550a here, stick a PCI controller here, attach these devices to it.)

It would be really nice if virtio worked in a target-agnostic way so I could use virtio devices the same way on all targets. It would be really nice if virtio serial worked the way any _other_ serial device worked so -nographic could route /dev/console through stdin and stdout of qemu when using a virtio serial console.

All of these issues are from my 2010 todo list. If any of them have been resolved since, I'd love to hear about it and sorry for the noise. I've been busy with other things. Fixing the versatilepb in the 3.8 kernel, for example:

  http://landley.net/notes-2013.html#15-03-2013
  http://landley.net/notes-2013.html#16-03-2013
  http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/rev/96fb8598a446

Rob