qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [graphic & serial on sun4m]

From: Jean-Michel SCHRAMM
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [graphic & serial on sun4m]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:43:07 +0100

Hi Artyom,

Thanks again for your interest.

Le 07/03/2013 23:58, Artyom Tarasenko a écrit :
Hi Jean Michel,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Jean-Michel SCHRAMM
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Artyom,

Thanks for taking time to consider my needs for serial ports.

I went on board Thalassa this morning and started the system (not easy, the
ship is laid along quay hardly powered). I gathered the informations you
requested. Hope this is all you need. Please ask me if I missed something.
I also attach the documentation of the board.
Thanks, this looks interesting. What I wonder is where are those
serial ports in the device tree?
Are they connected to the VME-BUS, and OBP knows nothing about them?
Do you know how does the SunOS find them?

The original serial ports come from a SCSI terminal server. A third party software from this terminal server maker (Central Data) is loaded at boot and create the devices /dev/ttyCx and load the proprietary driver in kernel. That's why those port are not in the devs tree. I can switch off this and replace the /dev/ttyCx with true serial ports. If it is possible to add a few ports on top on basic a & b native serial port, with custom device name, I think that could make it. But those new port has to be linked to host computer real ports to. This is far above my competence. Though I used to (long ago...) be fluent in C and could get some support here, so I could volunteer to spend time on trying if I get just information of where to start and what to alter.

By the way, I just subscribed to qemu-devel (was only to qemu-discuss). Mark
said we should talk on this list and get nice cg3 and cg14 Bob's cards to
the current release?
This is definitely a good idea. Feel free to write or add a cc to
demu-devel any time.

I did. Many thanks again.
Jean Michel

 Artyom