qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:28:59 +0100

On 2013-02-22 10:56, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2013-02-22 00:04, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>> Since this is a pretty visible change for a lot of people, I thought I'd
>> send a top level note.  The GTK UI is now committed and is the default
>> UI provided it's available.
>>
>> For anyone counting, it's been a little more than 7 years in the making:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/9726
>>
>> If you want to try it, make sure you have the gtk-2.0 development
>> packages installed and the VTE development packages.
>
> What's your plan now regarding persistent configuration? I'd like to
> make "Grab on hover" default here as it is how I'm used to work with
> SDL, but also other tools like rdesktop. Clicking on some menu item each
> time I start a guest is obviously no solution.
>
> Then, any concerns about adding a "control" menu? Something to issue
> standard tasks without monitor interaction ("power down", "reset", "stop")?

Some smaller quirks I stumbled over so far:
 - text consoles use an inferior font compared to SDL (ideally, that
   one should also be used for GTK)
 - text consoles in unscaled mode do not use their fixed default size
   but the one the guest display is using
 - switching between graphical and and text consoles quickly messes the
   scaling of the guest display up
 - pressing ALT+menukey sends the ALT-down event to the guest, but not
   some ALT-up, leaving the guest keyboard in a confusing state

If you have any ideas on how to address some of the issue, let me know,
I can try to look into them. But I would also test patches.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE