qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK UI is now the default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:08:32 +0100

Am 22.02.2013 00:04, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Since this is a pretty visible change for a lot of people, I thought I'd
> send a top level note.  The GTK UI is now committed and is the default
> UI provided it's available.
>
> For anyone counting, it's been a little more than 7 years in the making:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/9726
>
> If you want to try it, make sure you have the gtk-2.0 development
> packages installed and the VTE development packages.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Hi Anthony,

I appreciate that the gtk ui is now available in git master.
Alas, the current code did not address some issues which
I had reported earlier. Most important:

* The code does not compile on current Debian Squeeze
because it requires a newer version of vte:
/gtk.c:860: error: ‘VtePty’ undeclared (first use in this function)
and lots of more compiler errors.

* There is no w32/w64 support for vte, and it would need
a really big effort to get a vte binary for those hosts.
They need a gtk ui without vte.

* New: Ubuntu does not provide /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc,
so Ubuntu hosts won't compile the new gtk ui.

Regards,
Stefan