qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Question about default floppy and stdvga memory

From: Fabio Fantoni
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Question about default floppy and stdvga memory
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 10:41:42 +0100

I tried to disable "default floppy" without use -nodefaults option that disable other things.
I didn't found other parameters to do that in docs and code for now.
Can someone tell me if there is another way to disable default floppy only?

About stdvga, I found that memory is configurable from docs/spec/standard-vga:
   Framebuffer memory, 16 MB in size (by default).
   Size is tunable via vga_mem_mb property.

vga_mem_mb seems wrong in doc, I didn't found it in the code with grep so I tried to use -global vga.vram_size_mb, that (looking at code) seems the correct one.
By default xen reserve 8 mb of videoram but stdvga default is 16 mb.
Tried out a domU with Xen, if the memory required from vga is more than memory reserved by xen it should give an error (like qxl and cirrus), but with stdvga I cannot get any error at all. I know that in xen there are changes and/or bugfix (probably in hvmloader) to have the emulated vgas full working with qemu upstream but probably stdvga has something to fix and/or improve also on qemu part.

Can someone tell me if memory setting of stdvga is working?
Is correct to have no errors from xen even if it reserves only 8 mb by default and this size is not setted on qemu with -global?