qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Add serial number to usbdevice when passthrough t

From: Lei Li
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Add serial number to usbdevice when passthrough to VM
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:45:14 +0800

On 01/16/2013 03:56 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On 01/16/13 08:18, Lei Li wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently we can passthrough the host USB device to the virtual
machine. This is done like:

–usbdevice  host:1234:5678, where 1234 is vendor id, 5678 is product
id.

But there is a problem. If there are two identical USB devices,
where the vendor id and the product id is the same. It's not possible
to direct one USB device to VM1 and the second USB device to VM2.
You can assign devices by physical port.
See docs/usb2.txt

Yes, I have read this doc, I know it also support hostbus+hostport or
hostbus+hostaddr combinations.

But as the backinfo's request, should we extented the usbdevice parameter
like:

What happened if upper app try to passthough those identical USB devices
by vendorid+productid combination?

AFAIK, Virtualbox support to distingish those device by adding this
third parameter 'Serial Number' for vendorid+productid combination.
cheers,
   Gerd

--
Lei