qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] test and debug devices

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] test and debug devices
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 14:07:15 +0100

Hi Gerd,

Am 04.01.2013 13:57, schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
>>> This patch series improves the debug devices we have.  isa-debugcon is
>>> switched over to the memory api.  isa-debug-exit is added and replaces
>>> the hard-coded bochs debug port.  pc-testdev (used by kvm-unit-tests) is
>>> added.
>>
>> Missing some CCs, and I was actually expecting another PATCH series
>> first... as brought up before it is refreshing an uncommitted series by
>> Hervé without any mention thereof in the commit message
>
> Hmm?  The isa-debug-exit patch is written by myself.  After hacking it
> up I've noticed Herve wrote a simliar one.  But I didn't grab Herve's
> patch.  I've picked up + updated Lucas' testdev patch, and that is
> clearly visible in the commit message.
>
>> and I thought
>> there was an unanswered question to Anthony on both Lucas' and Hervé's
>> series?
>
> The only outstanding question I'm aware of is whenever anthony does a
> outb or outw on the bochs debug port in his test suite.  My
> isa-debug-exit device handles both cases, so we should be fine here, and
> I'm sure Anthony will actually try before committing the series ;)
>
> What else is unanswered?

I believe the original unanswered question was whether it is okay for
Anthony to add -device foo for his testing now that the default port was
changed to what he was relying on or whether he wants it to
automatically get instantiated for machine backwards compatibility
unless --no-defaults (or whatever it's called) is used. Your series,
just like Hervé's that got stopped by Anthony, simple moves things into
a standalone device in 2/4 and I don't see any pc-1.3 handling in 4/4.

Cheers,
Andreas