qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fwd: Problem booting 32 bit guest on 64 bit host using

From: Mark Blakeney
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fwd: Problem booting 32 bit guest on 64 bit host using kvm
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:26:55 +1000

FYI, I just discovered that I can make my Solaris guest boot every
time in kvm by specifying an interactive boot at the boot prompt and
then just hand stepping through the default prompts. Presumably there
is a timing issue in the guest boot sequence which kvm is exposing
when running natively on my new current gen cpu + ssd box. It seems
slowing down the boot artificially by hand stepping, or by running
with -no-kvm, or by running on my older hardware + hdd, avoids this.

So sorry but this seems likely a bug in the old Solaris 2.5.1 guest OS
when running on modern fast hardware(?). Now I know about this
interactive boot option I can just use it to boot each time. There are
only 3 quick prompts so it is not really a bother.

The guest runs fine in kvm after booting so this speed related bug is
only during the initial boot sequence.

Thanks for your help.