qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new pc-bios/bios.bin breaks freebsd booting

From: Brad Smith
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new pc-bios/bios.bin breaks freebsd booting
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:25:50 -0500

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 06:47:58PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 12/12/2012 17:04, Luigi Rizzo ha scritto:
> > I am not sure if it has been reported already but this commit
> >
> > http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commitdiff;h=d7a51dbbaa70677846453f8c961590913052dd86
> >
> > (replacing pc-bios/bios.bin with a newer version)
> > breaks booting of FreeBSD on recent qemu (starting roughly with
> > qemu-1.3.0-rc2).
> >
> > Using a FreeBSD host, and a FreeBSD guest,
> > the qemu thread runs at 100% and the console is stuck
> > after the 'pci0' probe:

> > hpet0: <High Precision Event Timer> iomem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff on acpi0
> >
> > Timecounter "HPET" frequency 100000000 Hz quality 950
> >
> > Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 900
> >
> > acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0xb008-0xb00b on acpi0
> >
> > pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
> >
> > pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
> >
> > Reverting the bios fixes things.
> > I wonder if it isn't the case of reverting this change ?
>
> Not reverting the change (which fixes other things), but yes---we should
> get the fix into SeaBIOS.
>
> I don't have a FreeBSD VM handy, can you try the attached BIOS so I can
> have your Tested-by?  The patch I used is after my signature.
>
> Paolo

Could you please provide a pre-compiled BIOS image so I could test
this out? I believe the issue I have is the same but it doesn't hurt
to have more testing. :)

I also noticed some issues booting FreeBSD 9 when I was testing
QEMU 1.3.0 on OpenBSD and have put it aside until some regressions
are fixed with the release.

believed to be clean.