qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Any alternative to kqemu ?

From: Timothy Madden
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Any alternative to kqemu ?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:39:30 +0300

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 14/10/2012 12:52, Timothy Madden ha scritto:
>> Hello
>>
>> Is kqemu deprecated ?
>
> It is simply not supported anymore.
>
>> Is there an alternative to it ?
>
> No.

That is tough ... ! So my hardware is officially obsolete.

I had to get away with those other emulators provided by commercial
companies. VMWare said my hardware does not support virtualization
(much like qemu), but VirtualBox worked surprisingly well and uses the
CPU natively (no emulation, faster than my qemu without kvm).

>> `qemu-system-i386 -net nic ...` keeps saying upon invocation that vlan0
>> is not connected to host network. My `vconfig add eth1` command
>> completed successfully, and I can `ifconfig eth1.0`, although I see no
>> IP address on the new interface, only the mac address.
>
> QEMU VLANs have nothing to do with Linux VLANs.  Yes, that is confusing. :(
>
> If you install libvirt, you can use -net nic -net bridge,br=virbr0.
>
> Otherwise, you could configure a bridge yourself and just use "-net nic
> -net bridge".

It turns out I had to say:
           ifconfig eth1.0 up

Which might be obvious for the people here, but is not that much
obvious when you first hear about vlans ...

Thank you for your responses,
Timothy Madden