qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Building QEMU with multiple CPU targets.

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Building QEMU with multiple CPU targets.
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:54:31 +0100

On 8 October 2012 07:39, Peter Crosthwaite
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Im currently investigating the possibility of building QEMU with
> multiple CPU architectures active concurrently. That is, I have a
> binary with both an target-arm and target-microblaze and wish to run
> them as a heterogeneous multiprocessor platform.
>
> Given the recent QOM development in making CPUs just another object,
> shouldn't be possible with a bit of Makefile and configure rework to
> build qemu-system-arm+microblaze and then create machine models
> instantiating both CPU types?
>
> Are the major complications here from either a Make or QOM perspective?

I certainly think this would be a nice feature to have, but I suspect
the makefile/QOM bits are probably the easy parts :-)

At the moment things like the translated code cache are basically
globals and would need to be moved to be per-CPU. Also there are
still various settings that are compile time which would need to
become runtime (though we just got rid of the 'size of physical
address type' one at least).

-- PMM