qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatib

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatibility
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:36:31 +0200

On 2012-10-01 15:31, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:19:29AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> On 2012-10-01 11:31, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not just about default configs. We need to validate if the
>>> migration formats are truly compatible (qemu-kvm -> QEMU, the other way
>>> around definitely not). For the command line switches, we could provide
>>> a wrapper script that translates them into upstream format or simply
>>> ignores them. That should be harmless to carry upstream.
>>
>> qemu-kvm has:
>>
>>  -no-kvm
>>  -no-kvm-irqchip
>>  -no-kvm-pit
>>  -no-kvm-pit-reinjection
>>  -tdf <- does nothing
>>
>> There are replacements for all of the above.  If we need to add them to
>> qemu.git, it's not big deal to add them.
>
> At the moment the only purpose of this command line options is for
> compability with scripts. My view is that scripts are easily fixed,
> so we can just drop them. No need to carry this to QEMU.
>
>>  -drive ...,boot= <- this is ignored
>>
>> cpu_set command for CPU hotplug which is known broken in qemu-kvm.
>>
>> testdev which is nice but only used for development
>>
>> Default nic is rtl8139 vs. e1000.
>
> Config file (as suggested earlier on this thread).

If you need to append -config bla, you can also specify the desired NIC
explicitly - I see no value in the former. If we decide to mangle a
qemu-kvm command line before calling QEMU binaries, we can adjust this
variation there. Otherwise it's the same as with all those -kvm*:
Scripts/management tools will need adjustment.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE