qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [big lock] Discussion about the convention of device's

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [big lock] Discussion about the convention of device's DMA each other after breaking down biglock
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:16:38 +0200

On 09/27/2012 05:13 AM, liu ping fan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> So I guess, after introduce this, the code logic in c_p_m_rw() will
>>> look like this
>>>
>>> c_p_m_rw(dev_virt_addr, ...)
>>> {
>>>    mr = phys_page_lookup();
>>>    if (mr->iommu_ops)
>>>        real_addr = translate(dev_virt_addr,..);
>>>
>>>    ptr = qemu_get_ram_ptr(real_addr);
>>>    memcpy(buf, ptr, sz);
>>> }
>>>

>> Something like that.  It will be a while loop, to allow for iommus
>> strung in series.
>>
> Will model the system like the following:
>
> --.Introduce iommu address space. It will be the container of the
> regions which are put under the management of iommu.
> --.In the system address space, using alias-iommu-mrX with priority=1
> to expose iommu address space and obscure the overlapped regions.
> -- Device's access to address manged by alias-iommu-mrX
> c_p_m_rw(target_physical_addr_t addrA, ..)
> {
>     while (len > 0) {
>     mr = phys_page_lookup();
>     if (mr->iommu_ops)
>         addrB = translate(addrA,..);
>
>     ptr = qemu_get_ram_ptr(addrB);
>     memcpy(buf, ptr, sz);
>     }
> }
>
> Is it correct?

iommus only apply to device accesses, not cpu accesses (as in
cpu_p_m_w()).  So we will need a generic dma function:

  typedef struct MemoryAddressSpace {
      MemoryRegion *root;
      PhysPageEntry phys_map;
      // linked list entry for list of all MemoryAddressSpaces
  }

  void memory_address_space_rw(MemoryAddressSpace *mas, ...)
  {
     look up mas->phys_map
     dispatch
  }

  void cpu_physical_memory_rw(...)
  {
      memory_address_space_rw(&system_memory, ...);
  }

The snippet

    if (mr->iommu_ops)
        addrB = translate(addrA,..);

needs to be a little more complicated.  After translation, we need to
look up the address again in a different phys_map.  So a MemoryRegion
that is an iommu needs to hold its own phys_map pointer for the lookup.

But let's ignore the problem for now, we have too much on our plate.
With a recursive big lock, there is no problem with iommus, yes?  So as
long as there is no intersection between converted devices and platforms
with iommus, we're safe.