qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:44:45 -0500

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> here is a proposal for moving around 150 C files currently in the
> toplevel directory to separate, well-delimited subdirectories.  Header
> files would be moved for now in include/, preparing for subsequent
> reorganization of headers.
>
> Usually the files would keep their names, but I loathe names starting
> with qemu-* so I took the occasion to rename those.
>
> This does not touch the hw/ directory, which is its own mess and worth a
> separate discussion.  Cleaning it up may require introducing more
> CONFIG_* symbols and moving stuff to libhw whenever possible (for
> example if we want all NICs in hw/net, all RTCs in hw/rtc, etc. perhaps
> with some exceptions for USB).
>
> Opinions, flames, "stop this guy"s are welcome as usual.

Thanks for doing this!  I'm of the opinion that something is better than
nothing here so I'll resist the urge to argue why blue is the best color
for the shed.

But one concern I have: this will be a big source of rebasing.  Perhaps
we can schedule this?

Have you done the reorg yet?  Presumably it's just some make file
changes and a bunch of renames?  Perhaps we can schedule it for November
1st to mark the start of the soft freeze.

Since many of us are traveling afterwards, I expect there won't be a lot
of last minute merging for this release.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori