qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Selective block migration (still on 0.13)

From: Christian Theune
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Selective block migration (still on 0.13)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:58:23 +0200

Hi,

we're currently still on 0.13, looking forward to a large update soon. :)

We haven't been using live migration up until now, but are investigating it to multiple downtimes (restarting updated hosts and restarting updated guests) when doing system updates. So, we're trying to find out whether we can get this into a usable shape while still running 0.13.

I saw that 0.13 does have block migration available. However, looking at the code, it's an "either or" situation: migrate all block devices or none.

In our case we have the root disks on iSCSI (through virtio-blk) and two additional local disks (for /tmp and swp).

Now, the iSCSI shouldn't be migrated but the local disks should.

Reading up in the current code, it doesn't look like this would be feasable. Can someone prove me wrong? Please? :)

Even the earlier discussion regarding live block copy which included a reference to using libvirt sounds like it would have a problem instrumenting the live migration correctly: how do you get the migration atomic if you need to copy the block devices independent of the VM migration? Maybe, I'm missing something.

Cheers,
Christian