qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux KVM, Windows 7 guest choppy sound

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux KVM, Windows 7 guest choppy sound
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:53:47 +0200

On 2012-09-07 18:09, Erik Lotspeich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this isn't the right venue for this message, but this
> mailing list seems a bit more active than qemu-discuss.
>
> Background:
> I am running OpenSUSE 12.1. I fixed audio issues in VM guests by setting
> the following in qemu.conf:
>
> vnc_allow_host_audio = 1
>
> I also set user= and group= to allow qemu-kvm to run as the same user as
> I am logged in as. This allowed qemu-kvm to send audio to pulseaudio.
>
> My issue:
> I am using the ICH6 virtual audio driver in my VMs. In my Linux VMs, the
> sound works perfectly without any issues. In my Windows 7 VM, the sound
> works with the exception of static and choppiness in the audio. Has
> anyone else seen this or have any ideas for a fix?

Known issue, likely unfixable in QEMU due to hard-coded constraints of
the driver Windows uses (too small playback buffers).

I gave up on hda, I'm happily using a passed-through USB headset now.
Another known-to-work alternative is PCI passthrough of the host sound
hardware. However, both approaches are no option when the host is out of
reach.

What seems to work better - but is lacking input support - is usb-audio.
Maybe worth a try when you don't need a microphone.

Jan