qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Q35 OS install status

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Q35 OS install status
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:40:29 -0300

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:05:44 +0200
Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> BSD
> >> ---
> >> Luiz tested these for me.
> >>
> >> OpenBSD 5.1, FreeBSD 9.0 and NetBSD all worked with the ide controller
> >> passed on the command line. AHCI didn't work.
> >
> > Sorry if I wasn't clear in my report, I've only tried ahci with OpenBSD.
> > Will try it with the others shortly. But yeah, ide controller worked with
> > all of them.
> >
> > Btw, I didn't try any fancy settings, only plain default install.
>
> I do remember that with PIIX, one of the BSDs failed, while all the others
> worked just fine. I don't remember which one. Could have been OpenBSD.
> Skimming through the source, it looked as if it was searching for an IDE
> controller and only then activated AHCI on it - which totally contradicts the
> usual workflow of AHCI on ICH.

I was able to run a more complete set of tests today. I've tested all three
bsds on q35 and with ide and ahci on master (1.2.0-rc0).

installed with ide on master, but failed on q35 and with ahci on master.

Details
=======

On all tests the default installation was performed, always selecting
a minimum set of packages. Once installation was complete, I rebooted the OS
and checked dmesg.

master with ide
===============

Command-line example:

# ./qemu -hda disks/openbsd-test.img -enable-kvm -m 1G -monitor stdio \
         -cdrom /home/lcapitulino/isos/bsd/openbsd-amd64-install51.iso -boot d

Results:

 o FreeBSD 9.0: OK

 o OpenBSD 5.1: OK

 o NetBSD 5.1: OK

master with ahci
================

Command-line example:

# ./qemu -device ahci,id=ahci0 \
         -drive
file=disks/freebsd-test.img,if=none,format=raw,id=drive-sata0-0-0 \
         -device ide-drive,bus=ahci0.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0 \
         -enable-kvm -m 1G -monitor stdio \
         -cdrom /home/lcapitulino/isos/bsd/FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
-boot d

Results:

 o FreeBSD 9.0: OK

 o OpenBSD 5.1: FAILED

   Fails while partitioning the disk with the following error:

      fdisk: sd0: Device not configured

   And then the installation program keeps asking you to partition the disk
   again.

 o NetBSD 5.1: FAILED

   Fails during boot. A little bit after printing:

     ahcisata0 port 0: device present, speed: 1.5Gb/s
     ahcisata0 port 1: device present, speed: 1.5Gb/s

   The kernel "oopses":

     fatal integer divide fault in supervisor mode

q35
===

Command-line example:

# ./qemu -hda disks/netbsd-q35.img -enable-kvm -m 1G -monitor stdio \
         -M pc_q35 -bios /home/lcapitulino/work/src/q35-seabios/out/bios.bin \
         -acpitable
file=/home/lcapitulino/work/src/q35-seabios/out/q35-acpi-dsdt.aml
         -cdrom /home/lcapitulino/isos/bsd/netbsd-amd64cd-5.1.iso -boot d

Results:

 o FreeBSD 9.0: OK

 o OpenBSD 5.1: FAILED (same error as with ahci on master)

 o NetBSD 5.1: FAILED (same error as with ahci on master)