qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:42:49 +0200

Am 30.07.2012 18:19, schrieb Alon Levy:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:54:27PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 14:25 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>>> [...] why not go all the way to qxl?
>>>
>>> That will give you better graphics performance with no need to hack.
>>
>> Well, qxl is pretty awful from what I can see so far. [...]
>
> I would love to hear something more specific about this. I assume you
> are talking about libspice-server and not the device itself, since the
> device itself has nothing specifically matching windows.

I can't comment on what Ben meant, but from my perspective the really
awful thing about SPICE was its huge tree of dependencies, including a
very specific version of celt that we now need to package and maintain
specifically for SPICE. At least during the big QOM refactorings.

Elsewhere QEMU is built around the principle of opting individual
features in rather than requiring a whole bunch of stuff just to do a
basic qxl compile test for patches.

Andreas