qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Live Migration: File Descriptor

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Live Migration: File Descriptor
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:29:03 -0600

On 07/14/2012 08:45 AM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been exploring various live migration ways that qemu supports.
> In the Qemu Migration documentation at: [1], it is only mentioned how
> to invoke tcp and exec migration schemes.
> But there is no mention of unix and fd migration schemes.
>
> In the code I see that the argument for tcp, fd,unix and exec goes
> into uri. But neither in the code nor in the docs/migration, it is
> mentioned what it expects as uri.
> So how do you start migration with these schemes ?

The libvirt code base exposes all of these migration schemes (although
it currently favors fd: migration wherever possible).  Starting a
migration requires a Unix socket on the monitor command, and passing in
the file descriptor via SCM_RIGHTS via the 'getfd' monitor command prior
to using the 'migrate' monitor command to use that new fd.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266