qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC] Removing brdv_read()s from device init functions

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Removing brdv_read()s from device init functions
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:08:52 +1000

Hi All,

This RFC comes from the recent discussion Re coroutines and the block
layer - the current topic of disucussion there has shifted to
"bdrv_read() from device init", so rather than continuing the
discussion as a tangent to the unrelated original topic I'm recreating
the thread.

So anyways, there are several motivations to remove bdrv_read() from
init functions. Kevin points out that it breaks migration as the
reading of machine state at init stage will read out-of-date data. It
also is the source of my coroutine bug. It also is a worst case
performance wise. The big question is how for existing models do we
fix it?

One policy suggested is to ban bdrv_read() from init period and
require devices to Lazy init. That is, on the first load, do the read
you were going to do at init time. Peter Maydell points out that this
has the drawback of late detection of errors, I.E. errors that should
really be picked up at load time are not picked up until first access
(like the bdrv file being too small for the device).

Kevin propsoses a second init function for devices. I guess the way
this is implemented is TYPE_DEVICE or TYPE_OBJECT has  ->init_state()
or some such that is called once the the machine is ready to migrate.
The bdrv_read is moved from ->init() to ->init_state(). You may or may
not convert to bdrv_aio_read() but it doesn't matter for that
approach.

I came up with the idea of just using AIO to delay the read until the
appropriate time. The bdrv_read in init is converted to a
bdrv_aio_read(), and AIO yields the created coroutine when it figures
out that the machine is not migration ready. When the machine is ready
the coroutines is re-entered.

I have CCd some of the QOM people as i noticed they were discussing
some infrastracture for late device init. This may or may not be
related.

Regards,
Peter