qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding an IPMI BMC device to KVM

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding an IPMI BMC device to KVM
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 14:08:10 +0100

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/06/2012 09:39 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>> On 05/06/2012 05:35 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> So what's really the use case here?  Would an IPMI -> libvirt bridge get you
> what you need?  I really think that's the best path forward.

I'm still curious about this and didn't see it answered in the thread.
 You mentioned "watchdog timer, sensors and power control" but what
exactly should they expose?

Do you want to expose host sensors - the challenge is that they don't
reflect the hardware that the virtual machine sees?  Or do you want to
have synthetic sensors - which virtual sensors are useful to have?

Is the IPMI watchdog useful, QEMU already supports the i6300esb PCI
watchdog (see qemu -watchdog option documentation)?

Some use cases that illustrate how the guest is going to use IPMI
would be interesting and could help guide the discussion.

Stefan