qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 1.1-rc2 release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 1.1-rc2 release
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:20:42 -0500

On 05/15/2012 11:42 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 15 May 2012 17:38, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
Known issues == release blockers.  I'm not willing to block a release for
uninitialized memory access unless it's be validated by a human (and if it
has, there probably will be a patch already).

Likewise, memory leaks are not going to block the release unless they are
significant.

An TCG deficiencies don't count as a release blocker unless it's a
regression.

In this case it is a regression...

At what point did it regress?  I don't recall win64 ever working uner TCG...

Anyway, my point is not "these things must go in" but that it's very
hard to tell from this side whether a patch is in the state:
  (a) in your queue and will go into this rc
  (b) missed the boat for this rc but will be in the next
  (c) completely overlooked and needs pinging/yelling about
  (d) judged not important enough to justify fixing in this release

It's it not tagged '1.1' than I am not considering it for 1.1.

If it's tagged with 1.1 *and* in a subsystem with an active submaintainer, I would expect the submaintainer to handle it. I do keep track of it though until someone responds with "Thanks, Applied." and will follow up with patches that fall into this category.

The usual "assume it's gone into somebody's tree and ping again
in a week or two" doesn't work when release candidates are done
on a schedule of every week or so, you need a more positive ack
and tracking IMHO.

If you've posted a patch for 1.1 and it's a couple days old without feedback, then you probably should ping the appropriate maintainer about it.

FWIW, I don't see any pending 1.1 patches from you so I don't know if this is a theoretical concern or a practical one.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

-- PMM