qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 09:45:34 +0400

On 08.05.2012 09:20, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 05/07/12 20:48, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> I'm trying to experiment with ahci, but can't
>> even get my win guest to install drivers for
>> it.  My usualy procedure is, for an existing
>> guest, to add a dummy drive of required type,
>> boot the guest, let it to recognize the new
>> device and to install drivers needed for it,
>> shut it down and change boot drive to the one
>> of required type.  This worked fine so far,
>> eg, for virtio or scsi.
>>
>> But now I can't use the same technique for ahci.
>>
>>  qemu .. -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio \
>>   -device ahci,id=a \
>>   -drive file=dummy.raw,id=d,if=none \
>>   -device ide-disk,bus=a.0,drive=d,bootindex=X
>>
>> Now, no matter what I use for the bootindex
>> parameter, the guest _always_ boots off a dummy
>> ahci drive.  Even using bootindex=-1 or some huge
>> value, the guest still boots from ahci.
>>
>> The only workaround I found so far is to boot
>> using -boot menu=on, and manually choose the
>> second entry (which is the virtio image), but
>> obviously this is not good at all.
>>
>> How to let the guest to boot from the virtio
>> drive?
>
> bootindex=1 for virtio

-drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1 --

this does not work:

 qemu: -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1: Invalid parameter
'bootindex'

I understand that I probably can replace this single
-drive with 3 parameters -- -device virtio-blk-pci,
-drive if=none, and -device ide-drive.

But this is already too much for ahci, so now I'm forced to
use the same very long syntax for virtio and ide too?
Is there a saner way?

Also, still, the question in the $subj: how to make the ahci
drive non-bootable?

> bootindex=2 for ahci
>
> ordering in the boot menu then should be virtio first, ahci second, then
> everything else (cdrom, nic, ..).
>
> cheers,
>   Gerd

Thanks,