[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-f
[Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-fd
Tue, 1 May 2012 16:31:42 +0100
Libvirt can take advantage of SELinux to restrict the QEMU process and prevent
it from opening files that it should not have access to. This improves
security because it prevents the attacker from escaping the QEMU process if
they manage to gain control.
NFS has been a pain point for SELinux because it does not support labels (which
I believe are stored in extended attributes). In other words, it's not
possible to use SELinux goodness on QEMU when image files are located on NFS.
Today we have to allow QEMU access to any file on the NFS export rather than
restricting specifically to the image files that the guest requires.
File descriptor passing is a solution to this problem and might also come in
handy elsewhere. Libvirt or another external process chooses files which QEMU
is allowed to access and provides just those file descriptors - QEMU cannot
open the files itself.
This series adds the -open-hook-fd command-line option. Whenever QEMU needs to
open an image file it sends a request over the given UNIX domain socket. The
response includes the file descriptor or an errno on failure. Please see the
patches for details on the protocol.
The -open-hook-fd approach allows QEMU to support file descriptor passing
without changing -drive. It also supports snapshot_blkdev and other commands
that re-open image files.
Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote most of these patches. I added a
demo -open-hook-fd server and added some small fixes. Since Anthony is
traveling right now I'm sending the RFC for discussion.
Anthony Liguori (3):
block: add open() wrapper that can be hooked by libvirt
block: add new command line parameter that and protocol description
block: plumb up open-hook-fd option
Stefan Hajnoczi (2):
osdep: add qemu_recvmsg() wrapper
Example -open-hook-fd server
block.c | 107 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
block.h | 2 +
block/raw-posix.c | 18 +++----
block/raw-win32.c | 2 +-
block/vdi.c | 2 +-
block/vmdk.c | 6 +--
block/vpc.c | 2 +-
block/vvfat.c | 4 +-
block_int.h | 12 +++++
osdep.c | 46 +++++++++++++++++
qemu-common.h | 2 +
qemu-options.hx | 42 +++++++++++++++
test-fd-passing.c | 147 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
vl.c | 3 ++
14 files changed, 378 insertions(+), 17 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 test-fd-passing.c
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-fd,
Stefan Hajnoczi <=
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 2/5] block: add new command line parameter that and protocol description, Stefan Hajnoczi, 2012/05/01
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 3/5] block: plumb up open-hook-fd option, Stefan Hajnoczi, 2012/05/01
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 4/5] osdep: add qemu_recvmsg() wrapper, Stefan Hajnoczi, 2012/05/01
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/5] block: add open() wrapper that can be hooked by libvirt, Stefan Hajnoczi, 2012/05/01
- [Qemu-devel] [RFC 5/5] Example -open-hook-fd server, Stefan Hajnoczi, 2012/05/01
- Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-fd, Anthony Liguori, 2012/05/01