qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/9] QOM: qomify -netdev

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/9] QOM: qomify -netdev
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:54:57 +0100

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Zhi Yong Wu <address@hidden>
>
> Sending the patchset is mainly intended to get some comments and void the
> wrong development direction.
>
> The patchset is used to qomify -netdev, but it introduce one infrastructure
> for host devices based on raw Class and Object, not qdev. So they are not
> related with DeviceClass and DeviceState.
>
> patch #1 introduce one new class and object for host devices.

A common infrastructure for host devices is useful.  The Property
mechanism in hw/qdev-properties.c is especially good.  I think host
devices will also need to 2-step creation process (init and realize).

I think the qdev-properties.c code can mostly be shared.  It currently
uses the qdev DeviceState class but I think it only really access the
Property array.

Therefore it should be possible to really share a single copy of the
code.  We don't need to duplicate Property for host devices, instead
we can extract it out of hw/.

Stefan