qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to trace all the guest OS instructions and the micr

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to trace all the guest OS instructions and the micro-ops
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:42:39 +0100

Yue Chen writes:

> Thanks a lot. So any approach to get the dynamic or static whole memory
> information of the guest OS ? Not the memory of each process.

> Sorry for the confusion. I do use version 1.0.1.  I mention not in 0.9.1
> because
> someone has already implemented the dynamic tracing in 0.9.1, but not in the
> latest version.

I suppose you're talking about the patches I sent some time ago. Right now I'm
waiting for the upcoming transition to python in the tracetool script, so that
all the automatic code generation is much simpler to handle.

On the patches I sent there are events to trace memory accesses, but there is no
concept of micro-operation.

If what you want is the x86 micro-ops, that does not exist in QEMU. If by
micro-op you mean the TCG primitives, you could easily add tracing events for
those primitives and then trace these instead of the guest architecture
operations. But that is far from resembling the x86 micro-ops (e.g., in system
mode a memory access generates a fair amount of TCG "micro-ops" to emulate the
checks the guest hardware MMU would do for memory access violations).

Lluis

 Tollbooth