qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 08:43:53 -0600

On 03/09/2012 08:30 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 09/03/2012 15:01, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:
How do you handle out-of-tree patches with submodules (as is the case
when working on new code)?

It's very easy to update .gitmodules to point to a different tree on
your local system and then update the ref to a local commit.

So from a development perspective, it's simple.  The harder question is
what to do about qemu-test HEAD on qemu.org

Yep.  So you would commit patches to qemu.git with some kind of IOU for
tests, that will be committed as soon as kernel support hits the mainline?

Probably commit the test and mark it as an expected failure until support hits mainline.

You want to require tests in order to commit to qemu, but this (for
tests where using qtest is not feasible for any reason) requires all
drivers to be upstream and accessible to qemu-jeos.

We're really just talking about virtio here, no?  Maybe we can convince
Rusty to have a proper virtio-next.git...

I think this ends up being outside the scope of qemu-test.  Perfect is
the enemy of good here.

No, this ends up being outside the scope of Anthony, who only cares
about testing KVM/x86.  We add one virtio device every couple years,
while new ARM boards are added every couple months.  It kind of works
because a large part of the QEMU development community is testing on
KVM/x86, but not entirely.

qemu-test is a specific solution to a specific problem. The problem is: how can you leverage an existing kernel to simplify writing device model tests without having a full blown libOS in qtest.

Linux is the only part that matters here. The userspace in qemu-jeos is just there to give a small environment for Linux to function properly in.

It is not a problem. of course: you're human, you're one person and one
would need a dozen to set up everything properly.  OTOH, it's too easy
to dismiss buildroot when you are catering to a much smaller objective.
The complete objective would have a much bigger overlap with
buildroot's, and likely the design would too.

You have a different objective than I do. You want to build a reproducible guest that runs on a wider variety of architectures than common distributions do with a good enough userspace to write integration tests with. That's a good goal if you care about the full stack.

I'm skeptical of the value of this from a QEMU point of view. Do we really care if the buildroot version of udev propagates hotplug events correct in buildroot for ARM in a beagleboard machine?

I'm sure someone cares about that, but it's ultimately not a QEMU problem. I think we need to focus on getting our house in order (in terms of quality) before we start trying to tackle a larger scope.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paolo