qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU desired libiscsi.so clashes with libiscsi.so from

From: Mike Christie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU desired libiscsi.so clashes with libiscsi.so from iscsi-initiator-utils
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 13:58:09 -0600

On 03/06/2012 06:19 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 12:06 PM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>> Sorry about this.
>>
>> First, libiscsi is a really good name for a general purpose
>> multiplatform library, like libiscsi.
>> Second,  a generic name like this is a horribly poor idea for a single
>> distribution/ single use / obscure private library.
>>
> Yes.
>

>> I want to solve a problem  to make it available on all platforms.
>> I dont like to chose a suboptimal name for this reason,  but I thought
>> I had no choice.
>>
> Fully agreed. I'm perfectly fine with libiscsi ...
>

>> I am not really excited with the concept of "obscure single use
>> private library polluting the namespace like this" but what are my
>> options ?
>> I can live with renaming my library if that is what it takes.
>>
> IMO the only sane option here is to have a separate package,
> containing libiscsi _only_.
>
> It can be a sub-package of existing iscsi-related things, ie
> contained within the existing open-iscsi _source_ repository.
>
> But having is packaged _together_ with another rpm is really bad.
> Plus it makes updating a nightmare.
>
> So, Mike, what about having it as a sub-package to open-iscsi?
> I'm all for it, especially as some partners are already asking for
> it ...

Not sure what we are talking about. Are you talking about the libiscsi
that ships in fedora/rhel? That comes in the iscsi-initiator-utils-devel
rpm already. It should not get installed with just the
iscsi-initiator-utils rpm.

That lib really should only be used by anaconda. That lib is not a good
general purpose lib. It is kinda awkward. Some of the iscsi concepts are
mixed up. My preference is that only anaconda ever uses that lib,
because I am not supporting it upstream. It is not merged upstream for
example. The upstream iscsi tools do not use it (anaconda people
actually wrote it so it works for them, but it does not work for
iscsiadm for example). I only support it for rhel/fedora for anaconda use.