qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live Block Migration using Mirroring

From: Federico Simoncelli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live Block Migration using Mirroring
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:21:40 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

Step 1 - Initital Scenario
==========================
VM1 is running on the src/hd0base.

[src/hd0base] <= VM1(read-write)

Step 3 - Mirrored Live Snapshot
===============================
A mirrored live snapshot is issued using src/hd0snap1 and dst/hd0snap1 as image
files (both having src/hd0base as backing file).

[src/hd0base] <- [src/hd0snap1] <= VM1(read-write)
             ^-- [dst/hd0snap1] <= VM1(read-write)

Step 4 - Backing File Copy
==========================
An external manager copies src/hd0base to the destination (dst/hd0base).

[src/hd0base] <- [src/hd0snap1] <= VM1(read-write)
[dst/hd0base]^-- [dst/hd0snap1] <= VM1(read-write)

Step 5 - Final Switch to Destination
VM1 is now able to switch to the destination for both read and write operations
fixing the backing file path in dst/hd0snap1.

[src/hd0base] <- [src/hd0snap1]
[dst/hd0base] <- [dst/hd0snap1] <= VM1(read-write)

--
Federico