qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] QMP: Supporting off tree APIs

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] QMP: Supporting off tree APIs
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:56:44 -0600

On 01/05/2012 09:35 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 01/05/2012 07:16 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
I know.  We're stuck in a hard place here again because NotSupported
has been in the Image Streaming API spec and hence implemented in
libvirt for a while now.  If we change this then an old client which
only understands NotSupported will not know what to do with the
Unsupported error.

(Unsupported was not in QEMU when the Image Streaming API was defined.)

Let me try to understand it: is libvirt relying on an off tree API and
we are now required to have stable guarantees to off tree APIs?

No.  Libvirt recognizes the off-tree spelling, but does not rely on it -
after all, the goal of libvirt is to provide the high level action,
using whatever underlying mechanism(s) necessary to get to that action,
even if it means using several different attempts until one actually works.

If a user has the older libvirt, which only expects the off-tree
spelling, then that user's setup will break if they upgrade qemu but not
libvirt.  But that's not a severe problem - they could have only been
relying on the situation if they were using an off-tree build in the
first place, so they should be aware that upgrading qemu is a
potentially risky scenario, and that they may have to deal with the pieces.

Right, this is the difference between ABI compatibility and strict backwards compatibility.

To achieve ABI compatibility, we need to not overload BLOCK_JOB_COMPLETED to mean something other than libvirt what expects it to mean.

We MUST provide ABI compatibility and SHOULD provide backwards compatibility whenever possible.

In this case, I'd suggest that in the very least, we should add BLOCK_JOB_COMPLETED to qapi-schema.json with gen=False set. That way it's codified in the schema to ensure we maintain ABI compatibility.

That said, I'm inclined to say that we should just use the BLOCK_JOB_COMPLETED name because I don't think we gain a lot by using QMP_JOB_COMPLETED (not that we shouldn't introduce it, but using it here isn't going to make or break anything).

With respect to libvirt relying on interfaces before they exist in QEMU, we need to be a bit flexible here. We want to get better at co-development to help make libvirt support QEMU features as the bleeding edge.

Forcing libvirt to wait until a feature is fully baked in QEMU will ensure there's always a feature gap in libvirt which is in none of our best interests.

Now that we have gen=False support in qapi-schema.json, we can agree to an API and add it to QEMU before we fully implement it. This gives libvirt something to work off of that they can rely upon.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Newer libvirt can be easily taught to recognize both the off-tree and
stable spellings of the error (checking the stable first, of course,
since that will be more likely as the off-tree qemu builds filter out
over time).  At which point, using either the off-tree qemu or the
stable qemu should both work with the newer libvirt.