qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:30:31 -0600

On 12/29/2011 04:10 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 29 December 2011 21:46, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
But 0% test coverage is absolutely not enough.  So the first step is to get
an infrastructure together that we can all live with and start writing
tests.

Agreed.

How does your framework deal with non-x86 targets?

http://git.qemu.org/qemu-jeos.git

I've already got ppc32 support working. Adding a new arch is just a matter of adding a kernel config and uClibc config to configs/

> Finding and
installing a working crosscompiler can be painful, especially if
you wanted to crosscompile userspace rather than just the kernel...

I spent a couple days researching what to do here and ended up settling on:

1) build binutils for desired target

2) build GCC using (1) as a cross compiler. This is a limited form of GCC (no thread support) targeted as uClibc

3) build kernel using (2) and installer headers into our new sysroot

4) build uClibc using (2) and (3)

5) build busybox using (2) and (4)

The whole process takes about 30 minutes on my laptop using -j1 which isn't all that bad. It's certainly faster than doing a distro install with TCG :-)

qemu-jeos.git contains git submodules for binutils, GCC, linux, uClibc, and busybox plus miscellaneous scripts needed to make a working initramfs.

Once we get more ARCHs working, I'll add a cronjob to qemu.org to build weekly binary packages so that for most people, all you have to do is grab an RPM/DEB with prebuilt binaries.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

-- PMM