qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0 (was: Re: git-b

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0 (was: Re: git-bisect results
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 08:33:16 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 07:44:10PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> >>Richard,
> >>could you please elaborate on your testcase and configuration
> >>(host/target architecture, command lines, etc).
> >
> >Ok, I've found most of details, what's not clear to me is how you
> >decide whether the build is good or bad.
> >
> >I mean, you need to rebuild qemu on every bisection step, but neither
> >this commit nor the previous or the next one
> >change anything that would compile for x86 targets.
>
> Fairly certain this bisect is a red herring.
>
> tglx reported this the other day in IRC.  He narrowed it down to
> virtio-serial.  He was able to reproduce it both with kvm tools and
> QEMU.

Yes, we do use virtio-serial.  The command line is:

/home/rjones/d/qemu/qemu.wrapper \
    -drive
file=/tmp/libguestfs-test-tool-sda-b4hesH,cache=off,format=raw,if=virtio \
    -nodefconfig \
    -machine accel=kvm:tcg \
    -nodefaults \
    -nographic \
    -m 500 \
    -no-reboot \
    -no-hpet \
    -device virtio-serial \
    -serial stdio \
    -chardev socket,path=/tmp/libguestfsQQ187c/guestfsd.sock,id=channel0 \
    -device virtserialport,chardev=channel0,name=org.libguestfs.channel.0 \
    -kernel /var/tmp/.guestfs-500/kernel.24171 \
    -initrd /var/tmp/.guestfs-500/initrd.24171 \
    -append 'panic=1 console=ttyS0 udevtimeout=300 no_timer_check acpi=off
printk.time=1 cgroup_disable=memory selinux=0 guestfs_verbose=1 TERM=xterm ' \
    -drive
file=/var/tmp/.guestfs-500/root.24171,snapshot=on,if=virtio,cache=unsafe

which comes from this libguestfs test case:

LIBGUESTFS_QEMU=~/d/qemu/qemu.wrapper libguestfs-test-tool -t 60

where qemu.wrapper is:

#!/bin/sh -
qemudir=/home/rjones/d/qemu
exec $qemudir/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -L $qemudir/pc-bios "$@"

I'll try it with/without virtio-serial.

git bisect red herring is pretty strange?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v