qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] windows guest virtio serial and balloon driver test iss

From: Mark Wu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] windows guest virtio serial and balloon driver test issues
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:43:26 +0800

Total physical memory on Windows will always be the same,
because we don't hot-plug/unplug physical memory.
Balloon driver works with non-paged pool memory instead.
So, every time you inflate or deflate balloon in your system,
you should see "Available memory" is changing, while physical
will always be the same.
But the behaviour of virtio-balloon is different on Linux guest. It updates the totalram_pages on deflate/inflate. Therefore the total physical memory will be updated in the system management interface even though it doesn't really hot-plug/unplug any physical memory. If we just use 'info balloon' to query the balloon status, that should be fine. But if the VM management tool also collects memory information from guest, it will become confusing. Actually, I am not sure which one make more sense. I just think that it should have unified behaviour on both Linux and Windows guests.