qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu & kernel :address generated are non-uniform

From: sparsh mittal
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu & kernel :address generated are non-uniform
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:49:29 -0600

Hello
I am using marss with qemu, but this question is related to qemu & kernel. When I use:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G myImage.img

and print physical addresses that are passed to cache hierarchy, I see that the physical addresses are not in uniform range: for example:

GBrange numberOfAddresses

0-0.5---> 3325

0.5-1---> 1253

1-1.5---> 0

1.5-2---> 30

2-2.5---> 0

2.5-3---> 1708

3-3.5---> 10521

3.5-4---> 0

4-4.5--> 15428
This phenomenon affects my work in following way: In Marss (cycle-accurate simulator for x86), these addresses are used to access cache hierarchy. If phys-addresses are in only in certain range, then, only few cache-set-locations will be accessed and others not. I am studying cache, and because of this phenomenon cache is arbitrarily used.

Can I do something to make these addresses uniform? Since it is a kernel issue, I don't know what can be done? I would be grateful for any help.
Sparsh