qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:56:36 -0600

On 11/16/2011 12:41 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 16 November 2011 14:33, Paolo Bonzini<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 11/14/2011 03:55 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:

This set of patches implements the QEMU end of the MMIO virtio transport
(as specified by Appendix X of the latest virtio spec from here
http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/virtio-spec/virtio.pdf
and implemented by patches which I think are going into Linux 3.2).

How does this compare against hw/syborg_virtio.c?

Pawel may have more detail, but to me the significant difference
is that virtio-mmio is an implementation of a specification extension
agreed with the virtio spec maintainers, whereas syborg doesn't seem
to be mentioned in the virtio spec anywhere, so I am unsure what it
is intended to be implementing.

(There are some technical differences too, like virtio-mmio allowing
the guest to specify queue sizes and alignments; these mostly came
out of the process of agreeing the spec extension.)

Correct. Syborg virtio was something Paul Brook did bit is not an "official" virtio transport as far as Linux or the spec is concerned.

I'm not sure what guest software uses the syborg virtio transport.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

-- PMM