qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:42:36 -0600

On 11/16/2011 07:39 AM, Dor Laor wrote:
On 11/16/2011 03:36 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
We have another requirement. We need to embed the source for the guest
agent in the QEMU release tarball. This is for GPL compliance since we
want to include an ISO (eventually) that contains binaries.

This could be as simple as doing a git submodule but it would mean that
the guest agent would have to live in its own git repository. Do you all
see a problem with this?

Not that I object of placing the code within qemu but I doubt this is a
requirement, we can settle w/ GPL license for the code.

A requirement of having the agent code reside within qemu is similar to some
neighbors idea about kvm-tool and the kernel ...

It can just be a submodule (like we do with SeaBIOS, etc.). The only request is that we split guest agent out of vdsm so we don't have to also include all of vdsm in the release tarballs. That would make the guest agent an independent git repository and presumably project.

We can't ship a binary without including the source in the release. The way we handle this for things that are external to QEMU (SeaBIOS, OpenBIOS, etc.) are git submodules.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori