qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] perf ABI backwards and forwards compatibility

From: Ingo Molnar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] perf ABI backwards and forwards compatibility
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:59:32 +0100

* Peter Zijlstra <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 13:15 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > The one notable thing that isnt being tested in a natural way is
> > the 'group of events' abstraction - which, ironically, has been
> > added on the perfmon guys' insistence. No app beyond the PAPI
> > self-test makes actual use of it though, which results in an
> > obvious lack of testing.
>
> Also the self monitor stuff, perf-tool doesn't use that for obvious
> reasons.

Indeed, and that's PAPI's strong point.

We could try to utilize it via some clever LD_PRELOAD trickery?

Adding a testcase for every bug that can be triggered via tooling
would definitely be an improvement as well - those kinds of testcases
generally tend to map out the really important bits faster than an
attempt at exhaustive testing.

Thanks,

        Ingo