qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] tcg/interpreter: Add TCG + interpreter for bytec

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] tcg/interpreter: Add TCG + interpreter for bytecode
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:06:17 -0500

On 10/31/2011 05:02 PM, Stefan Weil wrote:
Am 31.10.2011 22:38, schrieb Anthony Liguori:

I'll defer to Blue and/or Aurelien here as I don't know enough about TCG to
really review this series.

But I'd recommend waiting to pull this until after 1.1 opens up. This is the
sort of thing that 1) people are likely to actually use and 2) could use a
full development cycle of testing to get hardened before showing up in a
release.

I'd feel better about pulling this into 1.0 if it was guarded by a configure
option and disabled by default just to enforce that it's an experimental
feature.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

The current version of TCI is only activated with configure
--enable-tcg-interpreter
(see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-10/msg02509.html),
so this should be safe for 1.0. And yes, it's still an experimental feature.

Okay, then I really don't have an objection, but would still prefer Blue or Aurel to Ack it explicitly.

It's up to the maintainers of (Linux) distributions when they will add QEMU with
TCI
for new hosts which were unsupported by native TCG. It won't work automatically
-
they have to add the configure option for it. I have no access to such hosts for
testing,
but offer any help I can give.

Indeed. It's a good feature to have. Just thinking about release stability. I don't want to ship a brand new feature as part of the 1.0 release and have people have a bad experience due to it.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Stefan Weil