qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] RFC decoupling VM NIC provisioning from VM NI

From: Christian Benvenuti (benve)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] RFC decoupling VM NIC provisioning from VM NIC connection to backend networks
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:23:35 -0500

If we introduce this new functionality, can this warning change?
If we change it, would it break any test/script?
Actually it is just a warning (not an error). Why do you think it
is annoying? (I guess it is supposed to catch misconfigurations)

> We can do 2 via the monitor:
>
>   (qemu) netdev_add type=user,id=netdevnic0
>
> We can do 3 via the monitor:
>
>   (qemu) netdev_del netdevnic0
>

> The problem is 4 - AFAICT we can't connect the existing NIC upto the
> newly
> hotplugged netdev, since we can't update the 'netdev' property in the
> NIC
> device. Also if we delete the netdev, we can't clear out the 'netdev'
> property in the NIC, so its dangling to a netdev that no longer exists.
> The latter is fairly harmless, since we can just re-use the name if
> adding
> a new backend later. The first problem is a bit of a pain, unless we
> plug
> in a 'user' backend on the CLI, and immediately netdev_del it before
> starting
> the CPUs. Ideally we'd have some way to set qdev properties for devices
> so we
> can associate the NIC with the new netdev.
>
> eg when adding a netdev:
>
>    (qemu) netdev_add type=user,id=netdevnic0
>    (qemu) set nic0 netdev=netdevnic0
>
> Or removing one
>
>    (qemu) netdev_add netdevnic0
>    (qemu) unset nic0 netdev
>

> WRT to libvirt XML config. Normally you specifiy a NIC like
>
>      <interface type='network'>
>       <mac address='52:54:00:0f:7d:ad'/>
>       <source network='default'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>     </interface>
>
> To boot a guest without any netdev backend present, we'd introduce a
> new network type="none". eg
>
>      <interface type='none'>
>        <mac address='52:54:00:0f:7d:ad'/>
>        <model type='virtio'/>
>      </interface>
>
> The existing API  'virDomainUpdateDevice', can then be used to change
> the interface config on the fly, adding or removing the netdev by
> passing in new XML with a different 'type' attribute & <source>
> element.
>
> Finally, when adding & removing the netdev backends to a running guest,
> we likely want to be able to set the NIC's  link carrier, so the guest
> OS sees that it has lost / gain its network connection & will thus
> retry DHCP / IPv6 autoconfig.

I assume this is what you meant:

- when the NIC does not have a backend netdev configured, its link
  state is DOWN by default. Right?
  (*) Would it make sense to provide anyway the possibility of setting
      the link state in this case too? (ie, ability to force link UP also
      when there is no backend netdev configured).
      There may be use cases where this could be needed, but I can't think
      of any right now.

- When you unbind a NIC from a backend netdev (ie, "unset" command above)
  the NIC's link goes down (unless the above (*) option said otherwise)

- When you bind a NIC to a backend netdev (ie, "set" command above), the
  NIC link state should be copied from the backend netdev link state.
  For example, when you plug an Ethernet NIC to a switch, the NIC receives
  link UP only if the switch's port is UP.
  This means that the NIC link state reflects the backend netdev's link state
  (ie, the NIC is not always UP regardless of the backend netdev's link state).

/Chris