qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC [v2]: vfio / device assignment -- layout of device

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC [v2]: vfio / device assignment -- layout of device fd files
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:37:12 -0600

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 18:46 +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:34:52PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:04 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> > > Am 26.09.2011 um 09:51 schrieb David Gibson <address@hidden>:
> [snip]
> > > Also, if you can come up with an interface that does not have variable
> > > length descriptors but is still able to export all the required
> > > generic information, please send a proposal to the list :)
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > The other obvious possibility is a pure ioctl interface.  To match what
> > this proposal is trying to describe, plus the runtime interfaces, we'd
> > need something like:
>
> Right, this also seems a reasonable possibility to me, depending on
> the details.
>
> > /* :0 - PCI devices, :1 - Devices path device, 63:2 - reserved */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_FLAGS                       _IOR(, , u64)
> >

> > /* Return number of mmio/iop/config regions.
> >  * For PCI this is always 8 (BAR0-5 + ROM + Config) */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_NUM_REGIONS         _IOR(, , int)
> >
> > /* Return length for region index (may be zero) */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_LEN          _IOWR(, , u64)
> >
> > /* Return flags for region index
> >  * :0 - mmap'able, :1 - read-only, 63:2 - reserved */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_FLAGS                _IOR(, , u64)
> >
> > /* Return file offset for region index */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_OFFSET               _IOWR(, , u64)
>
> The above 3 can be be folded into one "getregioninfo" call.

Yep, and the phys addr one below.  We can use a flags bit to indicate
whether it's valid.

> > /* Return physical address for region index - not implemented for PCI */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_PHYS_ADDR    _IOWR(, , u64)
> >

> > /* Return number of IRQs (Not including MSI/MSI-X for PCI) */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_NUM_IRQ                     _IOR(, , int)
> >
> > /* Set IRQ eventfd for IRQ index, arg[0] = index, arg[1] = fd */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQ_EVENTFD         _IOW(, , int)
> >
> > /* Unmask IRQ index */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_UNMASK_IRQ                      _IOW(, , int)
> >
> > /* Set unmask eventfd for index, arg[0] = index, arg[1] = fd */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_SET_UNMASK_IRQ_EVENTFD  _IOW(, , int)
> >

> > /* Return the device tree path for type/index into the user
> >  * allocated buffer */
> > struct dtpath {
> >     u32     type; (0 = region, 1 = IRQ)
> >     u32     index;
> >     u32     buf_len;
> >     char    *buf;
> > };
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_DTPATH                      _IOWR(, , struct dtpath)
> >
> > /* Return the device tree index for type/index */
> > struct dtindex {
> >     u32     type; (0 = region, 1 = IRQ)
> >     u32     index;
> >     u32     prop_type;
> >     u32     prop_index;
> > };
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_GET_DTINDEX                     _IOWR(, , struct
> > dtindex)
>
> I think those need some work, but that doesn't impinge on the core
> semantics.
>
> > /* Reset the device */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_RESET                   _IO(, ,)
> >

> > /* PCI MSI setup, arg[0] = #, arg[1-n] = eventfds */
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_PCI_SET_MSI_EVENTFDS    _IOW(, , int)
> > #define VFIO_DEVICE_PCI_SET_MSIX_EVENTFDS   _IOW(, , int)
>
> Why does this need seperate controls, rather than just treating MSIs
> as interrupts beyond the first for PCI devices?

Well, we could say that PCI will always report 3 for
VFIO_DEVICE_GET_NUM_IRQ where 0 = legacy, 1 = MSI, 2 = MSI-X.  ioctls on
unimplemented IRQs will fail, UNMASK* ioctls on non-level triggered
interrupts will fail, and the parameter to SET_IRQ_EVENTFD becomes
arg[0] = index, arg[1] = count, arg[2-n] = fd.  Maybe we'd then have a
GET_IRQ_INFO that takes something like:

struct vfio_irq_info {
        int index;
        unsigned int count;
        u64 flags;
#define VFIO_IRQ_INFO_FLAGS_LEVEL       (1 << 0)
};

count would be 0 on PCI if the type of interrupt isn't supported.
Better?  Thanks,

Alex