qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] scsi: lsi problems since "unit attention on reset"

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] scsi: lsi problems since "unit attention on reset"
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:50:13 +0200

On 09/26/2011 09:27 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Hi Paolo,

I'm facing problems over latest qemu with our special guest OS that is
using the LSI controller. It hangs during boot now. This can be resolved
by reverting commit c7b488721d (scsi: report unit attention on reset).

I cannot exclude a bug in the guest driver at this point, but maybe you
also have some idea what could go wrong in the SCSI stack or the LSI
emulation. Any suggestions where to look at would be welcome.

It works for me under Linux, so I suspect it is a bug in the guest OS or the BIOS, which should send TEST UNIT READY before trying to communicate to the HBA. You can use tracing to detect that, it probably sends something like READ CAPACITY and fails because it does not expect that command to fail.

That said, since there are 3 out of 3 BIOSes that couldn't cope with that change---Linux and Windows work of course---it makes sense to revert it even though the patch by itself is correct. If you send it out, I'll gladly add my Acked-by.

Paolo