qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:00:09 +0200

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 01:04:00PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent a couple hours today writing up some comparisons and an
> initial task list for converting qdev to QOM.  The main location of
> this is the wiki[1] but I thought I would inline it here for easier
> commenting.
>
> I decided to do this because I wanted to avoid a massively long 00
> patch explaining the rationale for the first batch of changes that
> I'm going to send out.
>
> There is so much complexity in qdev and the device model in general
> that it's hard to come up with a concise document.  I'd really
> appreciate suggestions for topics to write up more rationale as that
> would help me avoid writing a book on the topic :-)

Thanks Anthony,

I'd appreciate if you could elaborate more on the backlinks. Also,
tiny code examples would help. Maybe you've got a git repo with
more code to link to?

Regarding the composition, a problem I face (which I mostly just
hack my way around) is that inter device connections may exist
at various layers at the same time. For example, a device that is
burried under a couple of busses/bridges may somehow be tighly
connected to another device at a very different location in
the bus hierarchy by means of another overlayed interconnect (e.g
data channels, timing generation, IRQs etc). Maybe you could
clarify a bit more on how QOM handles these topics.

Cheers